Sunday 19 August 2007

Excuse me, we are making a program about prostitution.

Anne Widdencombe. Wednesday night.

"Excuse me, we are making a program about prostitution"

"STOP THE SEX TRADE...I am sending out a blunt and unbending message...but when you see the problem first hand you will understand why...pleasant leafy part of ? popular with families but sadly also popular with a very different type of person...women who sell themselves for sex...women like these...shameless, desperate and probably on drugs...blatantly out on the streets, all hours of the day and night, with no regard for the decent families that live here..."

"Are you Colette? Are you doing it again?"

"There has got to more to life than this?"

"I would love to talk with Colette about this sorry life she has chosen"

"1 in 20 men have used the services of a prostitute...that's a lot of punters"

"Initially i did it out of curiosity, I thought it was one of those rights of passage that perhaps any curious young man should find out..."
(Piers Hernu)

"Did you think about their lives when you are using them?"

"Am I really taking part in someone else's downfall...or am I just entering into an honest contract between someone who is selling and some one who is buying?"
(Piers Hernu)

"You are in your mid twenties...you are a young woman, you have got your life ahead of you, child bearing years ahead of you, opportunities ahead of you...don't you sometimes wake up in the morning and think, that's it, no more, I am going to get clean, I am going to live normally..."

"You go home, your mother WILL want you...she gave birth to you...ring your mum..."

"Ive got a feeling we will say goodbye to you and will be on the streets tonight...I don't want you on the streets tonight...I want you safe tonight..."

"this place is teeming with prostitutes"

I don't think I can narrate any more of this documentary...I don't know if I want to.
I cannot deny the sorded reality of prostitution exposed here, but I shudder at the language used to describe, label and inform.

If I came out of my front door and found a woman lying there with a needle in her...I wonder what I would do? I wonder would I screw up my face in disgust, in ignorant pity and leave her there in a heap of her own bad choices?

Or would I kneel down, lift her head out of her vomit, wipe her hair back from her face and carry her through an open door?

No comments: