Monday 4 June 2007

Echoes of Les Miserables...

A song is sung by Fantine. She is poor, loses her job through no fault of her own, and she has a daughter to care for. She sells her hair then turns to prostitution to earn some money. This poetry is a song expressing the weeping of her soul...unfulfilled dreams and the huge gap between expectation and the reality of what life actually turns out to be...'I dreamed a dream'...Ruth gave me this...reminded her of our Gomar's...thank you Ruth...

The story of Les Miserables unravels hope - a story of redemption, of something more, of forgiveness.

I Dreamed A Dream...
There was a time when men were kind
When their voices were soft
And their words inviting
There was a time when love was blind
And the world was a song
And the song was exciting
There was a time
Then it all went wrong
I dreamed a dream in time gone by
When hope was high
And life worth living
I dreamed that love would never die
I dreamed that God would be forgiving
Then I was young and unafraid
And dreams were made and used and wasted
There was no ransom to be paid
No song unsung, no wine untasted
But the tigers come at night
With their voices soft as thunder
As they tear your hope apart
And they turn your dream to shame
He slept a summer by my side
He filled my days with endless wonder
He took my childhood in his stride
But he was gone when autumn came
And still I dream he'll come to me
That we will live the years together
But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are storms we cannot weather
I had a dream my life would be
So different from this hell I'm living
So different now from what it seemed
Now life has killed the dream I dreamed.

whilst this narrative doesn't end with hope, Ruth suggests this isn't her only song...And so the journey continues...may it be so...

On this page
I write my last confession
Read it well
When I, at last, am sleeping
It's a story
Of those who always loved you
Your mother gave her life for you
Then gave you to my keeping.

Come with me
Where chains will never bind you
All your grief
At last, at last behind you
Lord in Heaven
Look down on him in mercy.

Forgive me all my trespasses
And take me to your glory.

Take my hand
And lead me to salvation
Take my love
For love is everlasting
And remember
The truth that once was spoken
To love another person
Is to see the face of God.

Do you hear the people sing
Lost in the valley of the night?
It is the music of a people
Who are climbing to the light.

For the wretched of the earth
There is a flame that never dies.
Even the darkest night will end
And the sun will rise.

They will live again in freedom
In the garden of the Lord.
They will walk behind the plough-share,
They will put away the sword.
The chain will be broken
And all men will have their reward.

Will you join in our crusade?
Who will be strong and stand with us?
Somewhere beyond the barricade
Is there a world you long to see?

Do you hear the people sing?
Say, do you hear the distant drums?
It is the future that they bring
When tomorrow comes!

Will you join in our crusade?
Who will be strong and stand with us?
Somewhere beyond the barricade
Is there a world you long to see?

Do you hear the people sing?
Say, do you hear the distant drums?
It is the future that they bring
When tomorrow comes, tomorrow comes!

Gomar's of Belfast...you can live in freedom in the garden of the Lord...

1 comment:

porker said...

Such special words, I've been so touched reading through all your postings, you really write beautifully Sarah and your love is evident...your words are a glimpse of your heart and your world which is a beautiful thing despite being lived out in a world full of what the world has deemed to be ugly...

While you always focus on others I want to stop at you today and acknowledge your very special birthday, a day to appreciate your very special and precious existence...celebrating all you are and all you will be...I'm a better person for knowing you xxxx